Why do homeless people have dogs?

Homeless woman with dogs
  Originally uploaded by Franco Folini

Many homeless people have dogs. There are many theories why from for the company to it helps them get more money when begging to the dogs protect them and their belongs while they are sleeping. (I was in a Walgreens in downtown San Francisco once and I wondered why everybody in line had a bag of dog food until I got outside and saw a man with a dog begging. He was getting a lot of dog food!) Personally, I think homeless people have dogs for the company. Living on the streets is lonely and as every one know dogs make great, non-judgmental companions.

The other debate about homeless people with dogs is how good it is for the dogs. While a few people argue that the dogs enjoy being with someone all day long and getting lots of exercise walking around, most people agree that most street dogs (even those that belong to homeless people) are malnourished and are often not vaccinated or spayed or neutered. While there are some veterinary clinics that will treat the pets of the
poor for free or little cost, many of the homeless shelters will not
accept people that have pets. So both owners and pets are constantly exposed to the elements and often homeless people have other problems like mental illnesses or drug addictions which can affect their pets. (On the other hand, pets might be really good for them.)

I’ve heard as many of 5% of homeless people have pets but I don’t have any definite statistics.

8 comments for “Why do homeless people have dogs?

1. Cyndi
    March 23, 2016 at 10:30 pm

I think it’s horrible I live in Manhattan there are so many homeless people with so many homeless dogs I feel so bad for the dogs I always buy them dog food so I peel off the label on the back so the homeless people cannot go back into the store and return the food for cash. I just think it’s so sad seeing these poor dogs all over the people at least could go to with shelter dogs are not allowed in shelters

2. lisa
    April 8, 2016 at 5:04 pm

you can tell the dogs feel very uncomfortable and stupid in that situation but then so do the people it seems awfully cruel

3. veronica swehla
    June 5, 2016 at 5:15 am

I agree with Cyndi,
    These dogs are not pets or companions, they are simply hostages. Forced to live a life of loneliness, in dangerous situations, vulnerable of being kidnapped by predators who buy steal dogs for dog fighting. It makes me sick that there are no laws or that lack of enforcement to register these dogs as I have to for my three rescue dogs. These dogs with few exceptions suffer incredible amount of abuse..

4. Marina
    July 11, 2016 at 1:53 am

Hello,I understand the fear people have for the dogs who are living with homeless people. It is great to have compassion for the dogs!
    However, I feel that it is wrong to generalize a whole group of people who are homeless as abusive and neglegent of their pets.
    Many homeless people are good people who take good care of their pets. They kept them fed and it gives purpose to the lives of dogs.

Many dogs in this country are put down. Many homeless people provide food and a life for dogs so that they are not put down.

It is unfortunate to think that dogs are mistreated by people, but it is wrong to discriminate against all homeless people who have pets.

Please do not take this as an attack but rather an idea for healthier thinking and passing love to all people how Jesus did.

5. JJJ
    February 28, 2017 at 11:01 pm

I think it varies. It’s probably a mix of keeping the dogs for company and using them for begging. Personally if I were going to be homeless I would look to rehome my dog asap before I end up on the streets. So I agree there is probably some selfishness in keeping them when you are homeless

6. Debra
    May 14, 2017 at 1:16 am

Speaking as a person who has been homeless with 2 dogs, a husband, abd a disabled child, I can say that these 2 dogs were our only tie to the normal we once knew and were crucial for us getting back there. It was not mental illness or addiction that led to our situation, but rather having been laid off and physical illness.

7. gary james dean
    July 17, 2017 at 1:33 am

why do homeless people people have pets if they can,t take care of themselves.i think that these people use their pets so they can get more money panhandling and to make people feel even more sorry for them.

8. Linda
    August 17, 2017 at 3:56 am

I think “these” people need some love and companionship. We all have had bad days or maybe weeks or even years. My doggie doesn’t care how I look. Where I live. What job I do every day or how much money I have. I love him very much. If I can help anyone get a did or puppy let me know. Mine saved my life