Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs?

I was looking for information about kidney failure in dogs and the following article caught my eye: Kidney failure in dogs following ingestion of grapes and raisins – College of Veterinary Medicine – University of Minnesota.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has received more than 50 well-documented reports of dogs developing acute kidney failure after ingesting grapes or raisins.

All I can say is it must be a lot, and I mean a LOT, of grapes.  My dog Teddy loves grapes and one Christmas everyone was giving her handfuls until I found them out. 

Teddy has kidney failure now but she’s nine years old and she’s been eating grapes since she was a puppy.  This study says the dogs developed kidney failure within 72 hours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *